Sunday, April 17

The Origin of Words

In my last post of facts about me, I mentioned my rather unusual nickname "Negashgaarnesher". This is not a nickname I rather like, but one created by my friend and fellow bandmate, Arabella.
You see, people at the moment are saying things are "gash" - meaning rubbish, and it dawned on us one lunch time that gash can be spelled from my surname - Ganesh, (like the Hindu god. My ancestors are from India).
But after you've taken the 'gash', you're left with 'ne'. So I came up with putting the 'ne' at the beginning like they do in French (je ne pas..) to mean 'not gash'.
So that's the first part sorted out. The "Negash" part. But where does the "gaarnesher" come from?
A common mispronunciation of my surname is "Garnish" - i.e. what you put on food to make it look pretty, and that was incorporated into my nickname but in a very exaggerated form. "gaarnesh" (can also be spelled "gårnesh" for an exotic twist).
The ending "sher" is just added because we felt like it.

So to sum up:

GANESH - Gash
GANESH - NE
GANESH - Garnish - Gårnesh (+ sher)

I hope that helped to explain my rather eccentric nickname.

No comments:

Post a Comment