Thursday, December 30

Toast - A short review

What can I say about Toast. Not a lot. No, I'm not talking about the food here, but the televised version of Nigel Slater's Book "Toast" - shown today on BBC1 at 9:00PM. It was an incredibly sad program, but on the bright side - there were some brilliant jumpers! The beginning was sad, especially when his mother died, and the end was rather good. It even had a cameo from the real Nigel, as the head chef of the Savoy in London, who was eating a piece of toast. There were some magnificent pies, which did make me rather hungry - something I like in a TV show, and outstanding performances from Freddie Highmore and Helena Bonham Carter (as 15yr old Nigel & Mrs Potter (who is employed as a cleaner after his mothers death and ends up marrying his father)). The soundtrack was OK...it had Dusty Springfield. Not good. But the food did look amazing! After watching it, apart from feeling ravenous, I did feel quite sorry for him - but in a way, sort of glad that his father had died (I'm really nice, aren't I) so he could escape from his stepmother. All in all, it was a good program and is available on BBC iPlayer now.

No comments:

Post a Comment